Sometimes the lights all shinin on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been.
I spent the weekend in Heaven, so to speak. I was at a Kathy Knox clinic...nice and small and allowing me to have two working spots to look at my dogs. Originally my intent was to spend four of the slots on Bella....sorting her top end with Kathy. Fun how the best laid plans change directions under the tutelage of a whisper like Kathy. It was awesome sorting Miss Bella out...putting her in different situations to see her intent and finding so many supple changes in her. Sometimes after clinics, I get a certain training idea stuck in my head and forget to analyze it for all it can bring to a dog. Like for example working a single. I know that brings out eye in a dog.....so I have not done it with Nell. However, it is something she needs to do for other reasons so, every now and again, we will be working a single. I also re-learned that some exercises bring huge confidence to my dogs...... even though they have it mastered, I need to keep with it for just that: Confidence.
There was a real rancher at this clinic...he bought a trained dog for all the tasks he needs done on his ranch. I could sit and listen to "those" stories all day long....the stories filled with grit, sweat, hard work, a bit of pride in jobs well done but lacking egotistical self righteousness. He shared some training ideas that came with his dog, and here is what I took away. I'll never forget my very first Knox clinic...it was a double with both Knox's as clinicians. I have such fond memories of this clinic...filled with so much frustration and tears eased by new friends and laughs. My newly found friend Marilyn had just bought a new dog and was out working her with Jack and I took meticulous notes. Then it was my turn...I went out and did EXACTLY what Marilyn had done with her dog. Jack stopped me, and kindly asked..."what the heck are you doing?"..as only a Scotsman can ask kindly. I told him I was doing what he had told Marilyn to do. His reply has stuck with me over the years of clinics...."that is what Marilyn needed to do with her dog on this day...problem is, you don't have Marilyn's dog!" From that day, I have learned...each dog, each day...needs to be watched/assessed/analyzed to see what needs to be corrected and what is allowed for being correct...and every day its going to change.
A fellow blogger recently asked: "What are your plans for making it to the next level with your handling, competition and the journey with your dogs?"
My answer is this: I am going to look at myself and each of my dogs and work on seeing them correctly...the good, the bad...what needs work and understanding as well as what we rock at. I am going to work at giving up my ego and pride...be willing to leave the post a little more to help my dogs....to work on keeping my temper in check as my dogs really do want to work with me. I am going to put relationship and understanding above "scores" knowing that scores only reflect one man's opinion. Instead of looking at where I placed, I'm going to focus on what I saw and learned about me and my dogs. I'm going to try to give up other's opinions and input (unless of course I have asked for it)...what they think about me and my dogs is none of my business. And while I am at it, I am going to not worry about anybody else's dog or journey but will continue to seek out those to share the journey with. Each of us in on a journey that is for sure and I know there are special people to share the journey with. I am going to embrace my journey as the one I am exactly supposed to be on..and I am going to try very hard to enjoy my dogs and be open to all they are teaching me. I want to lift my eyes....look around and enjoy the view while I climb......
Truckin, Im a goin home. whoa whoa baby, back where I belong,
Back home, sit down and patch my bones, and get back truckin on.
Hey now get back truckin home.
Seize the Day!!!!
Love your blog. safe travels.
ReplyDelete