Thursday, June 28, 2012

Shed a Little Shed

While in Kentucky at the Bluegrass Classic, I ran my camera a bit.  Hindsight, not as much as I wish I would have...runs I missed filming include Tommy Wilson and Sly, I sure wish I had his runs captured.  I did get some great runs: Scott Glen's winning run with Don the first round is one I have watched a few times over.  I also ran my camera for friends and, in doing so, caught the shed that was given the honor of the 2012 Bluegrass Classic Best Shed.



With all the trialing I have been doing, I've been thinking about shedding...yet again.  Last year I did a 30 day shed intervention, I attended a shedding clinic, and I am finding a little more confidence with my shed.  The basic shed comes a little easier than the more challenging shed of "single: last one on the head out of three lambs"!  So now, in an effort to take myself and my girls to the next level of our shed relationship, I'm back to studying all things sheddy.

Last night, I found myself chatting with a friend who was giving some input on a project I have in the works.  The conversation easily leaned to talking about sheep and understanding them; the whole underlying reason for the border collie if one were a real shepherd.  I was reminded that all work that relies on my reading sheep without my dog is not wasted and is the foundation of the master shedders.  Sage words. 

I've dissected my "worst shed fears" at a recent clinic.  Now I find I am disciplining myself each time I go out to work dogs, to shed down to the group I want for the day.  And in that dance of letting go, calling in to stop the flow...I am finding a little more trust hidden in the tall grass of my fields. 

Seize the Day!

1 comment: