This onion story actually started a few weeks ago...first paragraph written by the Helsleys who challenged me to run my dogs without a stop for some time. The idea of which had me shaking and sweating that cold, hard, frantic sweat....."can I use a steady?" escaping in a whispered squeak....and "how many can I have" when the answer was yes. So I ran Bella with only a pinch of stops....which then mirrored some things about myself. With this new to me style of handling, my timing was a tad off.....leaving for just a smidgen of over flanking....enough to stop forward motion so that two of my sheep were on the wrong side of the shed ring...leaving my drive points on the field...all 30 of them. Still, all in all....it was surreal to handle in a new fashion...having my dog work with me....and learn a little more about the three of us...me, my dog, and the sheep. Mr. Helsley said, with time and practice, my timing would become better and my dog more willing to work with me.
The second paragraph of this onion chapter goes back to what lies ahead next weekend. Besides running stop-less....I tried something new on my outrun with Miss Bella. After doing a few days of flock work with her.....when I brought a mob of sheep in from the big field....I kept blowing Bella out each time she felt like she was pulling in on the moving sheep. I actually blew her right around to the heads on the far side of the field...and never a slice off or chase was seen. I also know that some of the tension at the top, okay, all the tension at the top is because Bella falls in a little and not because of her lack of stop. She can't seem to stop because she has fallen in....so I need to correct the problem and not the symptom. At the trial.....I used a big open blow out when Bella felt like she was falling in and both go's I had a supple dog with lateral coverage at the top end and surprise, surprise...a stop. I know I am giving her the answer with the blow-out....and my end goal is for her to find it herself.....my journey now turns into "what is next and how to get understanding while keeping a thinking supple Bella"? I'm hoping Kathy has some good fodder for summer over-thinking.
It will be nice to have some time off from trialing. I feel a little un-centered at the moment....my house needs attention...and my boys are home. I'm looking forward to continuing my work with Bella....maybe instead of looking at her layers...I might continue to encourage her to bloom. That said, Joe, you missed your opportunity to pull a prank...I did enjoy the thought of it. Keep your eye open for a little gift I am sending you to help you with your understanding of onions and parfaits!
Seize the Day!
| Melinda at the pen with Coon |
| All about the finish! |
| a new type of farming |
No comments:
Post a Comment