![]() |
| photo by third age |
I hadn't really noticed that Spark was getting older. Well, not really. He does go out into the back yard and barks; out of the blue, no reason in sight....maybe visions in his head. He also forgets what he is doing at the water bowl; sometimes he stands there, sometimes he drinks unending, much like that misplaced cup of coffee......now what was I going on about? Sunday, my good friend pointed out that he is getting older and it hit me. Indeed he is. When I look at Spark, I see my memories of him made a bit fuzzy by the gray in his beard, the haze in his eyes, the stiffness that has crept into his bones....but still I see that young boy dog that Jake and I had to sweet talk into our pack....forever changing my destiny.
If it weren't for Spark...there would not be Snook, and that I do know.
Snook has not aged as effortlessly as the sun slipping down the slope of the sky...unaware of the ensuing twilight. She is a big boned dog, runs hard, high drive, and has fallen off the dog walk enough times to draw the lucky card of sheep. She's been broken a long time and, though just beginning to spy 11, her pain control most certainly stays at the back of my brain every day now.
The big drug companies have done away with Deremax....darn it anyway. Drug of choice for Snook, most recently mixed into a cocktail with Tramadol.....it was working just dandy. Now I'm working a new plan, there are good days and days where I am having to begin to face the future with maturity and hoping I can let my selfish nature go. "Beginning"...big toe dipped into the cold water of reality.....preparing for the day I have to jump in. I know how cold that water is.....being a thinker, I prepare.
Twilight.....beautiful and inevitable......today, and everyday, its good to hug my dogs and celebrate them!
Seize the Day!





Spark's momma is 14 1/2 years old now and is going strong. Yes she is deaf and senile, but heck she runs in the field everyday. Spark's sister still acts like she is 2 years old, but her body is the tell tell sign that she is not 2 anymore. Her back is fused because of an injury when she was young, but she doesn't let a single dog deter her from getting the ball. She has days where she has to take that extra umph to get up the front stairs and is a little stiff getting up from her bed, but when she is running she is great.
ReplyDeleteIt was funny reading your post about Jake playing football and all grown up in college. I still picture him as that little kid running his BC in agility.
Brit...you know, I owe so much of who I have become to you in that "you bred our first border collie" way. Truely if it weren't for Spark.....I would have never found this amazing ride I am on! There are days where I wish I had known then what I know now. I think Spark would have been a nice herding boy. He is a bit older than his siblings...he has had a couple hard cases of pancreatitis due to some water issues with our well. Scary to almost lose him....and now he is not as resistant as he was before. But he is such a lover......its one of those hard mature moments when we face twilight. Seizing every day!!!
ReplyDelete