Friday, December 7, 2012

Simplify

After the course of the past few weeks, I have decided to simplify around here.  I've come to the conclusion that every creature that needs a name will be named Nell.  And not Nell (a), Nell (b), or Nell (1), Nell (2); just Nell.

The day before Thanksgiving, my llama Grace passed away.  I now know more about llamas than I did before Grace got sick.  I feel bad for Miss Grace, I think I could have saved her had I known then what I know now.  But she was too far into the disease to be helped and thankfully she died as comfortable as I could make her.  Now digging a hole big enough for a llama in flooding conditions is a story for another day.....but today is about new beginnings and simplifying.  After putting Grace to rest...I did give thought to not having a llama for a while.  The days taught me that the ranch without a llama is like a barn without a cat.  Some don't mind being cat-less, my ranch felt very lonely and my sheep very vulnerable llama-less....so let me introduce to you: Nell


Okay, her name is not Nell......due to the fact that I will never walk to the post with her.....I settled for Penelope.....Pe-NELL-ope!  So she kind of is a Nell but just the stay-at-home llama version of the name.

Sigh, I really like her.  She came from Rain Dance Llamas and she meets all the conditions that I had as I looked at another llama.  First and foremost, I needed to be able to catch my llama: she is friendly.  I also wanted something "younger" versus "older": Miss Penelope is just 4. I did not want white, white makes me want to bath things: her body is a dark cinnamon.  She is settling in very nicely to believing the sheep are her new, if not strange, family.  And curiosity makes for intimidation when meeting the dogs, who will eventually need to be able steal the sheep from Penelope. 

Nell meets Penelope
 
I'm taking it slow, introducing the dogs to Penny through the fence so maybe they can become comfortable with each other.  But I do want to give Penelope some time to unpack her bags and begin to make RDR her home.  She will learn that I really only want to work the sheep, not her, and that she would be better off eating her llama pellets. She will also learn that when I am there; dogs don't matter so much. When I am not there; kick some dog bootie!  Llamas are smart that way.

So all creatures great and small are settling into the rhythm of winter at Rocking Dog Ranch.  Short days and hard rains make me glad my flock is manageable in numbers, with shelter and feed.  Time spent away from the ranch is made easier knowing I have a llama on patrol.  Now if the barn cat could just step up and take her job a little more serious.....chickens have invited mice to move in!

Me, I'm taking doses of vitamin D, ginkgo and neuro boost.  I'm also very thankful for friends who can share a funny story or two to ease the pain of  mistakes; both the llama kind and the memory kind. 

Eastern Washington Eagles Football team continues their run at the playoffs. Christmas is just around the corner.  The new year is starting to drop into position to be born and the braxton hicks contractions are making me start my journey of assessing 2012 and dreaming 2013. Amidst the gray...I love this time of year.  I must remember, I appreciate spring ever so much more because it follows winter.

Seize the Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment