Tuesday, April 6, 2010

How do you.....

How do you teach a dog to fetch straight to you on a blind fetch?

In preparation for up coming trials, I had the opportunity to take the girls out onto a big field that had a terrain to it. Sally and I have been working on....Sally looking for her sheep on her outrun. I set up a blind outrun...where Sally could not see the sheep...and did not see them until half of her outrun was accomplished. Problem was....I could not see her or the sheep on her lift or the first half of her fetch. A friend watched from a vantage point where the whole OLF could be seen....but we did not have walkie talkies. Report back was....Sally's outrun and lift were lovely....but her fetch was off and by the time I saw the sheep...they were way to my left.

I've thought about ways to help get understanding about what I want......doing walk abouts where the dog is always balancing to me. But when Sally can see me.....we don't seem to have the same issues as when she can not.

After one very long, wet, dreary winter.....I am so excited to get back to working dogs! It has been almost a year since I have worked with Patrick Shannahan.....so you can imagine how much I am looking forward to my lesson this week! I have a list of questions...per dog! This question is top of the list on Sally's page of questions.

I heard a quote the other day that I have found one worthy of pondering "Savor every minute of the life you have". It has been easy to fall into the trap of "if only". If only I had a better dog, if only I had more property, if only I had lighter sheep, if only...."If only" feels like the MOTHER of excuses! I certainly can not use the "if only I had a better dog" excuse. I am working on disciplining my mind....getting rid of those thoughts that hold me prisoner.....thinking instead of gratitude, thankfulness, direction. I am so thankful for those in my life who provide opportunity and hold me accountable to be all that I am to be! Here's to the next level.....

Seize the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment