Monday, April 5, 2010

Thoughts on Double lifting!

Well, it is Monday....and I am supposed to be a minimalist....but it just ain't going to happen! It's April!!! Yahoooo!!! Finally, spring is coming...although our weather does not feel much like spring.....there are plenty of trials just around the corner of my life....and I need to get my game face on!
Last weekend, I went up to a very fun place in Olympia, Washington....Fido's Farm.
Chris, the gal who owns Fido's Farm, is committed to helping people get opportunities to train and work their dogs. Once every other month, she offers a double lift opportunity.....with set out folks to help make that happen. I decided to try Sally, who has a nice look back on her....and Nell who thinks she has a nice look back! The flock we were working were young yearlings

Nell had a hard time feeling the sheep. There were a number of frustration grips...that made me begin to look at what my whistles might be doing to my dog. Maybe I am adding to her pressure.....definitely going to look at that in the coming weeks. Also, Nell's look back....well...she does not have one! She might think she has one but she would not take it if it meant loosing the first pack of sheep. We will start working on that....but just a little. This year is more about getting to know each other on the trial field...and working together like we know we can.

Sally was great. Her look back was impeded only by a handling error...and it was my first ever attempt at this.....so I have greater understanding. I was so happy with Sally. Many areas where we have been working together.....were tried on my run. Hungry sheep not wanting to lift off grain, working 8 sheep through a course, my flanking her a little more than I would just to see if I could keep her calm and not getting frustrated with me, and having her pick up her pace. And the best part: she was sound! After months of crate rest, and limited activity.....giving up trials that I love to attend.....she was sound! It was a great day for the two of us!

Spring is here and the dog working opportunities are starting to pick up. I am so excited to get going, put some miles on, see some old friends, make some new friends, work my dogs...and trial! Living life......

Seize the day!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. So glad to hear about Sally's soundness.

    ReplyDelete