Not many sheepdog trial stories have left me quaking in my boots....except those told about Fire Ridge. The field...big, wild, raw. The sheep...bigger, wilder, rawer! The trial host, Melinda, and I have become friends over the years.....working together at the USBCHA finals in Klamath Falls. She's been after me to come to her trial....saying things like "it is the challenge that makes it fun" and "don't you want to see how your dogs can do"? This year, I swallowed my fears and in a moment of bravery...filled out the entry form, posted it in the mail, loaded the car and drove 5 1/2 hours to "see what my dogs could do and experience the "fun" challenge". I am so very glad I did!

The field was amazing.....big with lots of terrain. Nell wanted to go left but I had her go right and she crossed. I was able to stop her...but her blow-outs were small and did not get her there. Once she crossed, the rest of the outrun was fabulous; nice and deep with a lovely little lift. I know..."besides that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play!" She had a 'Nell' moment at the top of the fetch....and I used my 'you had better behave or I am running up that field' correction.....absolutely made her take that come bye flank...and it was game on. I was so tickled with how she worked these fine wooled ewes! Settled right in with nice pace and no slipping off to catch an eye. My Nell homework is dealing with lambs, as shown from the previous trial....and trusting her on the shed. All in all, it was a great run showing me exactly where we need to focus some attention this winter.
 |
| Lana and Nell....you can see the top of the fetch panels right in front of Nell |
Sally's run was nice too. I made the choice to send her left.....namely because the pro novice field had wrapped up and handlers were coming back to the open field, using the road that ran to the right. If a dog ran a little wide....and drivers were not paying attention.....a dog could get hit and I really like my dog! Sally took a small blow out right when she lost sight of the sheep...and the rest of the outrun was very good. I liked her run.....but our shed....well our shed was the worst one I have ever done at a trial. I actually said something to that effect and broke out into hysterical laughter as I went to the pen. Me and Sal...we need to work on our shed...nuf said!
It was fun seeing how the girls worked on the sheep and the challenge of the field....Melinda was right! As I said, this was Nell's second time on fine wool sheep....and she handled them like an open dog. And Sally, well she just keeps giving me more and more....that feels so fabulous! Her run was during a tough time of the day....5 runs prior to her and 3 runs after ended in retires. She did me so proud.
 |
| tough crowd! |
I came home after my runs to watch my son play football. My original plan was to get up early Saturday and go back to finish the trial. However, age, fatigue, and a cold shared by my husband made me a wimpy weak person and I stayed home. I am looking forward to some home time....getting things in order for winter and training dogs! I'll be sure to add Fire Ridge to my list of 'must go to trials'....it was a great one!
Seize the Day!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment