Jeannie Helsley always makes me smile......doing her happy dance across the field!
I was told a few "secrets" before sending my dog. A left outrun, the dogs could loose sight of the sheep.....the sheep were pulling hard to the left on the fetch and first leg of the drive. I decided to send Sally left......and much to my total shock and amazement....she ran out huge and deep! I kept thinking "whose dog is this exactly!?" I was not on my A game.....and on her lift...I was having a hard time determining whose dog belonged to me.....there were two set out dogs and all the dogs appeared to be taking my away whistle...but only because the set out dogs were being called off. I thought Sally's run was a good one for the two of us. She worked hard....never stopped coming on herself....and took all my whistles. I flubbed the lift...which created a bit of issue on the fetch...and the outcome was seen at the pen. But all in all...I like where Sally and I are headed!
Nell....oh my dear....Nell. She has not done outruns where she looses sight of her sheep....and my lack of detailed observance and not being there the day before.....created my poor timing of not helping her get out when I should have. I really rattled her on the outrun......and by then....Nell was not thinking, listening or doing much of anything clever. I had to leave the post and go up the field to get a stop! I called her off and that was that. Back to the drawing board........things to look at....STOP (broken record) and having her let me help her on her outrun. In other words...I need some bend outs and pull ins.
That night Marylin and I headed over to the Border Collie Training Center and worked dogs. I worked Nell in a small field reminding her what a 'lie down' whistle sounded like and just exactly what it should look like! Gyp took a spin in the same field on a group of 12 sheep. And Bella worked with Marylin standing in amongst the sheep and moving around. I....well, I had sooo much fun working dogs and having discussion with Marylin and Geri!
Monday morning turned into a 'girl party'! Marylin, Geri and I headed out to a big field to start playing tag. Nell was my first dog...and I thought she would have a nice lie down after our chat the night before. Needless to say....I am sore today. Sore from running up the field when Nell would not take the first lie down....and all corrections were dust blowing past her shut ears! She did not get the sheep any times she did not take the lie down....and finally I shortened the whole thing to 250 and got a great stop and nice lift. I put Nell away, or rather tied her to the 4 wheeler.
Bella worked on outruns and lifting off people and dogs. She was splendid for Bella...in times of chaos with the trailer, dogs and people, we only had a small stall once. We are getting better, Bella and I. Geri asked if I had one big outrun left in me....I grabbed Nell and sent her about 400 yards and almost fell over with the need of oxygen when Nell took my stop whistle and actually had a thoughtful lift! Maybe tying her up and having her watch Bella's stop session left an impression on my little Nell.
The rest of the 'girl party' showed up with Lana, Angie, and Sandra all coming out to have sheep work. Here Lana and Angie play tag....
It certainly was my kind of weekend. Filled to the brim with good friends.....dog work....and fabulous conversations that included the sharing of ideas and observances from both the runs and the training. October is turning into the most amazing month for my dogs! I'll keep posting along the way.....
Seize the Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment