Tuesday, February 1, 2011

So....How'd You Do???

I participated in a really great and challenging sheepdog trial this past weekend.....and when I got home a few friends asked "how did it go?"  Then my friend at 10-7 Ranch posted a really thoughtful entry on the 10-7 Blog that really iced the cake of my thoughts.  Personally, I am working on disciplining my mind; focusing my thoughts on finding the good in my dog work.  I'm getting better at seeing what went wrong and why...instead of blaming the sheep, or the dog.  Generally it is handling, lack of experience, or need of a deeper understanding in the training.  However, if I fall into the trap of finding joy in my placement only, I will experience a relatively joyless life. 

How do I find joy in an RT?  Or, gasp....beauty in a DQ?  Those were the questions I challenged myself with, three times on Sunday, as I ran three dogs!  So how did I do at the trial?  Each of my dogs showed improvement in areas we have been working on.  Sally called of the cows (cows!  I'm not sure what she was thinking as she HATES COWS!) and got up to her sheep. She also looked to be feeling great and in better physical condition than the last trial, January 1.  Nell walked straight in and did not slide off the pressure or try to catch an eye.  Bella let me handle her and showed less tension.  That is how I did! Some of the good I found myself....and others bits came from friends.  I am finding that good friends....those that have my best interest in mind and can be honest, supportive, and real....are worth their weight in gold.

I did realize, as I stood at the post, much of the progress that NEEDS to be made is in my handling!  I did not handle Sally at all like I want to.  Pounding the stop button is NOT how Sally is handled best by me. I also need to work fine wool sheep and most definitely fine wool lambs so I can get a better feel of how to run on them. My girls need that work and time to figure out as well.  Nell could have used a little more help on her outrun.  And Bella possibly could have been kept tension-free if I had gone to verbals when I saw the tension building.  All that insight was worth the drive! 

I also took time to watch run after run.....dogs with miles of experience sorting out the sheep and showing me how it would look and feel.  And less experienced dogs being "handled" to keep their run together.  I can't wait to put my girls back on those lambs and see if we too can figure them out!

I see many a road trip south in my future....wonder if I can squeeze one in before the lambs make their appearance?

Seize the Day!!!

2 comments:

  1. Same here girl :) Focus on the positive...always remember what to work on and you always have a chance at another run, as long as you keep sending in the entry forms anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my advice....it's free, so take it as you will.

    Focus on developing your dog. Confidence is KEY...in yourself....most importantly IN YOUR DOG. Watch for what your dog needs, and help it. Decide whether you want to develop your dog....or develop yourself...or which side, both are important, is a higher priority.

    Here on the West Coast you have many admirable and respected options....you can be a great handler (generally farm flock) or you have have a dog to handle (range ewes or range/terrain trials)...or, if you are destined to be truly great, both.

    I sense that you are torn...both are great goals.

    The "white noise" can be a distraction. The quest for knowledge is never-ending.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete