Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Buckle Your Seat Belt, Baby!

It is that time of the year......where all things "working sheepdogs" start to happen. Winter weather is supposed to be over and done.....and the heat factor is supposed to be dog friendly! Here I sit, after four crazy days of dogs and sheep....and I am supposed to be a minimalist! Well, I think I must leave Minimal Monday behind.....and possibly might need a lap top to keep my blog current!

I have already confessed I am OCD....over the top...when it comes to working sheepdogs and training them for that matter. Nell and I are working out our "relationship" and my burning heart's desire is for consistency! A long while back, I signed up to work with Derek Scrimgeour and have a go with my Killibrea Sally......and then Kathy Knox was slated to come to the area the very same weekend. Kathy has been so incredibly influential in my training up of Nell....I just had to see her....get her input....because I can only explain so much on the phone....and I was not seeing it 100% correct anyway. So, yes, I drove to see Kathy.....and thankfully had the support of my wonderful friends who were hosting Kathy......7 hours driving......30 minutes with Kathy....PRICELESS!!!! And you know what I learned.....this is all about me! Gasp.....I will continue with the tape recorder in my pocket....listening to how I whistle and what I say to my Nell. And I will step up to the plate, read my sheep and handle my dog! I WILL!!!!!

It has been over 2 years since I have seen Derek Scrimgeour.....and what a treat to work with him again. I love, love, love how he talks dogs!
He is so consistent in his training method....and can break it all down...applying what he sees to each dog.

This particular clinic had many different levels of dogs.....and the people were splendid......and each dog and handler had areas to work on. I loved soaking it all in...watching..... and analyzing....and applying. I worked on shedding with Sally, handling with Nell, and sorting out Bella. The three days were near perfect! I have to say it again, thank you, Derek.....for leaving your fingerprints here in America......Seize the Day!!!!

1 comment:

  1. It is all about you, believe it or not :) When I used to teach riding lessons, I would insist that my students take a hard look at themselves when they are having issues with their horses. Turns out most of the time the horse is not the root of the issue, just the symptom. I know in order to get better at this, I MUST continue to look at myself and my short comings, 'cuz mainly it is not the dog. Not saying the dogs are perfect at all, but I guarantee I'm the one in the relationship that needs the most work.

    ReplyDelete