Saturday, November 19, 2011

E:60 Junkie

I don't watch much TV.  When I do, my all time, hands down favorite show is

E:60

E:60 is produced by ESPN news and covers a way different side to competition.  Over and over, there are stories about "athletes" that have over-come....be it environmental as it was with the basketball player who's mom kept the gang away so her son could go on to play at the college level; physical as with the Vietnam Veteran who is an at-the-knee double amputee that golfed 18 holes at St. Edwards; the long distance runner who was diagnosed with leukemia and attempted to run all the way across Canada;or  the story I linked, an emotional one about an 8 year old boy that participates in triathlons with his younger brother that has Cerebral Palsy.  Of course ESPN mixes in stories that make your hair stand on end, or behind the scenes with a famous athlete, or stories about "what ever happened to such and so"...but it is always the stories about "over coming" that bring awe along with cheers and a bit of a tight throat fighting a few tears.

My first thought is always...WOW! they have overcome so much.  Then I can't help but wonder.....what makes some people dig deep and become so much more than what their handicap/challenge should allow?  I ponder, why do some never get beyond their handicap/challenge?  And why do some, without a handicap to be had, become stuck in boredom and apathy.  Is it a gene,  personality trait, circumstance, up-bringing, faith, luck, support from others, discipline, stick-to-it-tiveness, desire, visualization,  Law of Attraction...what is do these over-comers have inside them, even as young as 8!? How do I grab a hold of some of that "what" to move beyond excuse to become more than a survivor but one who seizes the day and lives the dream.

For me, watching these stories unfold inspires me; encourages me to forge ahead all the while keeping my challenges in perspective.  Recently, I received and email that said, "Decide to be one of those people who pull it off!" and that is a very good decision!

Seize the Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment