A friend of mine has lost a dog. The kind of lost that can be found if the dog were willing to be caught. I feel her pain deeply. A few years back, I borrowed a little Aussie from a friend thinking I would put some time on it and experience an Aussie. A few tiny mistakes on my part had the dog slipping out into the wild world under the tiny opening of my garage door. I told my son, "I'd be back when I found her and no sooner". I think I aged 10 years that day. The family I borrowed her from came and we split up looking. Funny thing was, she had not gone far. Once she heard a familiar voice she was caught and taken home and my days of Aussie training ended as their truck drove off.
I had a spare day on my hands and needed to take Geri some business items...so I loaded the car with dogs, cooked up a 1/2 pound of bacon, bought a rotisserie chicken and off I went to help my friend. Now I had no illusions that I was going to work any miracle that all her other dog friends could not work. I just thought maybe a new scent of food might bring in a hungry boy...it used to work at my house all the time. Start a fabulous dinner....boys would show up....food was eaten.... plates licked clean! Boys will be boys.
I met my friend mid morning and another of her friends came along. We shared phone numbers and then all headed out in different directions from the place the dog was last sighted. Finally, the UPS driver called and said he had spotted the dog in a field far from where we were looking. The three of us girl scouts jumped in our rigs and headed to the rendezvous site......sure enough....my friend, who had arrived first, had spotted the dog way out in a big field, hanging out. Our hopes were high as we split up.....bacon was doled out and I kept the chicken. I took Nell, Gyp and Grace with me and kept giving them treats off the carcass...hoping that boy dog would join the pack and come for the best smelling treat he had ever smelled.
My friend kept watch as the two of us trackers took off, heading out I bet a quarter of a mile to come round the back side of the dog. Me, with my three dogs, big black plastic platter with a rotisserie chicken on it, cell phone tucked under my ear so I could be talked in to the exact spot of the dog. Crossing through barbed wire fences while balancing the chicken that all my dogs were willing to fight for. There was a little ridge in the field, one that kept me from seeing the dog from my view. The voice on the phone kept me coming and just as I got to where I might have seen him, might have thrown him a bite of my tasty lure, might have sat down and just taken the pressure off.....that darn dog went into flight. He took off through the field, stopping when told to lie down, looking back towards me and pausing. But getting up again to continue the flight. While balancing the chicken between my arm and my body, I slipped my fingers into my mouth and blew the dog's recall whistle. And surprise to me and my three girls....up over the ridge came a coyote girl...startled beyond crazy eye popping startled to find a person and three dogs and not the chicken she was hoping to take home with her. She was so close I could have leaned to touch her and she jumped my Gyp who was at the end of the chicken handout line. We all just about shrieked and then I knew......
When it comes to the male gender...food takes second place to a hot slutty girl!
The hunt for the dog continues...I'm thinking next time out we might consider taking a girl in heat. Thankfully not one picture was taken from this outing...although my friend and I laugh every time we think of me walking through a huge field with three dogs and a rotisserie chicken.
What we won't do for love of a friend.....
Seize the Day!
The picture I formed in my mind was quite entertaining. I'm sorry you didn't get the dog. Might want to carry a firearm in your fanny pack along with your chicken next time.
ReplyDeleteIt was so good of you to come help. We are all relieved now that the wayward boy is safe at home!
ReplyDelete