I called their home on the other side of the road, I shooed them off my place onto the side of the road hoping they would cross back, I tried very hard not to care when chicks went missing or midnight carnage occurred from the pesky raccoon that thought the chickens crossed the road to make for an all-you-can-eat buffet. Then I snapped....yes sirree....I went out and bought myself a chick coop, off Craig's List no less. I then put up my poultry electro-net from Premier, my good neighbor friend came and made the coop a little less drafty and wa la.....I've now got chickens.
Here is the mama hen:
and one of her two hen babies that are more teenagers:
I've got the coolest hen house with three nesting boxes. They have a place to roost at night....plenty of food and water....I toss them COB every day to keep them happy with things to do. Shhh don't tell anybody but I kind of like them. My only wish is......I wish I could have been there the night the raccoon tried to climb the fence and got his hiny shocked! That would have made this whole adventure priceless! Here's to fresh eggs come what spring.
Seize the Day!
ooo! Nice coop! I'm glad you gave in and decided you like chickens. Me too!
ReplyDeleteNice coop. We really enjoy our chickens.
ReplyDeleteWhat is COB that you toss them every day??
Great post ;) Your coop is very nice and the girls look like they are happy to be there!
ReplyDeleteKathy....Corn Oast and Barley that I feed my sheep sometimes.....I toss that to the chickens so they can scratch around and feel like they are doing something worthwhile :)
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping that is okay for them. They sure like it.
L
The hubby is building us a chicken coop we can move around the pasture LOL. Pretty funny stuff
ReplyDeleteOh yes, M...I do believe those are called "chicken tractors". Very clever! I'm too lazy..... :)
ReplyDeleteL
Also the chickens will eat your leftovers (pretty much whatever) if you give it to them!
ReplyDelete