Friday, July 23, 2010

Calapooia Classic Farm Trial

Today, I participated in my first ever ASCA Farm trial. I definitely signed Snook up to run....this weekend is dedicated to Snook, my first border collie....a rescue that does best in arena trials. Then I got to the trial...and a moment of weakness overcame me..... and I entered Nell too. What the heck.....let's see how she is coming at tight work, I said to myself!

The trial site owner was busy putting the finishing touches on the course.......while the judge held a handler's meeting.....and the course director patiently answered all of my rather ridiculous questions!
I also brought along my own personal fan club who cheered...."go, Lora, go, Lora" while I ran!
The sheep were a very nice, fit group of katahdin and dorper crossed ewes and lambs.The course was a mix of field work, loading a trailer miscellaneous pen work, and a gate sortpushing through a foot bathall accomplished by a variety of breeds of working dogs!I thought it was a lot of fun....and it was definitely a lot of team work for me and my girls! Snook ended up 2nd in the open class (which is the middle class because ASCA makes you start out at the very beginning with no regard to how trained a dog is) and Nell finished in 1st in open...three points off a perfect run. I am tickled by how great they handled all the different aspects of farm work. And another great run was had by my friend Traci and her sheltie Kant!
Tomorrow is the regular ASCA trial....in which I will run four dogs....I am so excited but I need to get a good night's sleep!

Seize the Day!

1 comment: