Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The D's of the Double Lift

This morning, I am feeling a bit nostalgic.....so please bare with me. It was just 5 years ago at Sheep Thrillz....that Snook and I were asked to "catch" sheep for the double lift. What ever was I thinking? First, I had NO stock knowledge what so ever......and my dog and I were babies to the whole sheepdog trialing thing! Now five years later, Sally and I ran in our first double lift......and somehow it felt both familiar and way more intimidating than five years ago!
The first outrun was to the left......and since we train on this field occasionally....if felt like Sally was running out to where the sheep always are found instead of looking. Note to self, take the hit and redirect BEFORE she is committed to crossing! Yep, she crossed on her first outrun....despair........but we had the whole course before us......so I practiced the 'art of letting go' and moved on.Her look back to the second pack was delightfully ssaaawweeeeettttt........here she has just turned herself around and was beginning to take the away whistle....like she had done this all her life! Go Sally!
We merged the two packs of eight sheep together.....got them on line and settled......nice turn around the post......
and driving 16 sheep around a course mid-day is very nice. Got good pace with a bit of clip but no running.....and had plenty of time to fix any wrong flanks. This field is known for its big long drives.....I am not sure I have seen as long of a cross drive ever.......and my eye site failed me on my first panel. I turned too tight and a few sheep did not make it....Darn and certainly oops!

My shed was an experience! I understand the "concept" of the international shed....it is just the art of application that made me scratch my head and say hmmm. We got the marked four to the mouth of the pen before timing out. I felt great satisfaction in having "got 'er done". My first double lift and all. I learned so very much.....Sally is going to make me work to become a better handler and I just need to be glad for that! I moved Sally to open just a year and a half ago.......where the course work at Sheep Thrillz used to intimidate me.....now I embrace the longer drives. It is good to remember where I came from.....celebrating the small victories in my dogs and myself.


Now it is time to get Bella on my whistles.......


Seize the Day!

4 comments:

  1. That a girl(s)! How very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray! I'm so happy for you.

    It is amazing how a little more mileage makes things look not as large and lots more manageable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you! Wish I had been there!

    ReplyDelete