Snook....aka Terrihill Jazz....goes back to Templeton's Roy, JH Wilson's Spot, and Tommy Wilson's Roy and June......a nicely bred girl that somehow ended up in rescue...and came to live with me.
She is the reason I bought 10 acres, a bunch of sheep, my llama, and tractor, and mower......oh how we loved the journey of working sheep! She also taught me that my dog is a mirror to my soul! Soft as butter on a hot August day......I found myself dog-lessly trying to work sheep if I yelled or put to much pressure into a situation. I learned how to give corrections less enthusiastically, how to temper my emotions at misbehaving sheep, and how to creatively ease sheep pressure!
We stared out in arena trials.....AHBA and gasp AKC. Small fields and "fetching" dog broke sheep created a very confident Snook!
We also did a little bit of agility......she excelled at tunnelers....but never got the hang of the contact equipment and wanted to hide every time a teeter hit.
We've been to lessons and clinics.....and Snook introduced me to USBCHA Pro Novice.
Some Pro Novice trials proved to be on too big of fields for Snook's comfort.....or too much sheep pressure for Snook to feel she could move them without a grip. Also, being a serious grudge holder.....she refused to lift off a few men that set sheep regularly at trials. After time, the two of us trialed once a year at my favorite (and only) ASCA trial.This year, Snook went first place in Advance sheep and Advanced ducks both Saturday and Sunday...and I do believe she had the high score for the weekend. She worked real nice, but I could tell....she was sore. She is a big girl, and is hard on herself as she works......and between that and the fact that I have changed how I handle and what I expect from my dogs.....I feel it is time to let Snook retire. She will still be my front seat ride along girl...helping get a shy dog going in the round pen....moving sheep around the ranch time to time ....maybe we can get in some duck demos here and there.....but it is time.
Snook, thanks for being my first dog......you have taught me so very much.....mostly how to dream big dreams.
Seize the day!
What a wonderful story - we were both led into this life by rescue dogs - isn't it amazing the impact one little dog makes in our lives?. Did you get her from Pat in Moses Lake? That is where Brynn was fostered.
ReplyDeleteGood Girl, Snook! You'll still have plenty of work to do, mentoring the up-and-comers!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing that lovely story.
ReplyDeleteHmmmm...this sounds so much like how all this started with me as well...all it takes is one dog :) Great story girl!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy being the head girl and having to work only to keep your paw in...help bring up the youngsters right.
ReplyDeleteMary
Loved that. Ya did good, Snook! Congrats on your veteran status:)
ReplyDeleteOh, my Snookie girl. She's my sweet heart. Tell her I'll bring her an extra big cookie for her next time we're at the ranch.
ReplyDelete