Saturday, July 31, 2010

Jill Meets Patrick

I had the rare opportunity to watch 6 pups get evaluated on sheep by Patrick Shannah*n. All between the ages of 5 months to 9 months.....it was fascinating to see what each brought to the sheep at the different levels of maturity, keenness, readiness, and breeding. Two of these pups were from my Nell/Jake litter....including my Gyp.....
and Adele's Jill......
Having worked them both this week at home....I loved having input on what I felt I was seeing, feedback sorting if I was reading each dog correctly, and making a small game plan to help each of the girls develop good method with the sheep as we move forward into starting the process of training them.
The sheep at home were a little lighter.........and yet I saw varying degrees of the same attributes.
The whole process of starting these litter-mates fascinates me, as I spend time thinking, planning, and working. I love the fact that, though they share parents....they bring such different styles, talents, and challenges as they being their journey to becoming working sheepdogs.
The next day, after the puppy time, I worked Nell and Bella and discussed Sal. WOW are these dogs all so very different.....and yet I long to have that special relationship with each of them! My goal: appreciate what each brings to the work...... and adjust me accordingly!

I am so thankful for the sage guiding words of my mentors......cliches like "it is what it is" makes me humble and less driven to compare good vs not good. Remembering to not make such a big deal about brilliant work or not so brilliant work! Instead I am loving looking at each dog that comes through my hands and embracing the journey that they are allowing me to take with them. I am realizing the each dog is an individual......needing their very own plan.....made special for what they are presenting each time they come to the stock. May I be the trainer and handler that is open to what each dog is "saying" and strive for understanding and relationship! What an amazing, crazy, beautiful, brilliant, frustrating, wild, prideless, fulfilling journey I have embarked upon.

Seize the Day!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lora. My heart is very full. Seeing the picture of Jill working with Patrick is a joy. Thank you so much for being not only my friend, but mentor and companion in this journey of mine. And for giving me the opportunity to have such a wonderful pup to work with, to teach me, to learn with. Jill and I will surely grow together.

    ReplyDelete