Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Jack......

Training dogs for Jack is like breathing to the rest of us. It just is! I could write a book but it would be just one page....one sentence....."correct the wrong, leave the right". That's it. And to think I have gone to three 3-day clinics and still am seeking out all the meanings to this so elusive method!
I took away little tid bits.....one liners that I swallowed and then have brought back and chewed on....."it s the difference between the dog giving you something and you making it".
"A control style of handing hinders feel"
Since attending a judging clinic in April....I have been looking at my journey with Nell. Our relationship away from home was not developing in the direction I wanted......so Nell was my main focus as I worked with Jack at my place, at the Border Collie Training Center, and during the three days of clinic. I've learned so very much....it is not a big deal that Nell is not taking my command but rather she is not understanding the correction. I admire my dog when she is right....which should be no big deal....and get very frustrated when she won't take a command.....which should be no big deal. It just is.....and then work with it. And lastly, or maybe a momentary lastly......when I put in my head to run a course, I panic and over handle. I need to run her like I train her....train her like I want to run her.....instead of fretting about hitting panels or holding lines, or reading sheep, or.......being perfect. I think perfect should be a four letter word......it frustrates me to no end!


I feel blessed.....blessed to have been allowed to transport Jack around Oregon and Northern California.....hours on end to listen and learn. Nuggets were taken from even the funniest stories....and he can certainly tell a few! I feel blessed to have my never ending list of questions answered....even when threatened with being put on a quota! I feel blessed to be allowed to see that there is no formula to training dogs....each dog will let us know what it needs if we watch and listen. The journey of learning about working sheepdogs is never ending....and made so much sweeter with people like Jack to share it with!

Seize the day!

3 comments:

  1. "I need to run her like I train her....train her like I want to run her"

    It is all training, everything we do every day with the dogs teaches them something. Every run is just a training session your are paying someone else to give you and opinion about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post!! It is so true and yet difficult for me to execute in "real" life. Jack is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post :) I just love the Knox's and all the info I get from both Jack and Kathy :)

    I am keeping your notes :)

    ReplyDelete