Sunday, June 20, 2010

Where the Black Sheep Gather

Eugene is host to many a function....University of Oregon sports......Olympic qualifying Track Meets.....and The Black Sheep Gathering! Yep, every year right about now, all the black sheep from families around the West Coast gather to see who is the baddest black sheep! Okay not really......but it sounds good! Instead it is a fiber show...you know...sheep, llama, alpca, suri fiber all cleaned, some processed....and some made into useful items.I contemplated buying a hook-rug kit but the price for the kit alone...no yarn included....made me realize it might turn into one of those unfinished projects in my closet collecting things to do when the kids leave home. So I walked away.

What I love about The Black Sheep Gathering is.....Shaul's!Every year, I save up my money and add to my sheep handling equipment. This year, I ordered three special made panels to complete the bow gate I bought at the finals last fall. My sheep panels at home are just a tad too small....and I want to use the pen the bow gate and panels make for the Regionals.....great excuse to buy more equipment from Shaul's!

The Black Sheep Gathering hosts a HUGE sheep competition. There are a lot of sheep to look at.....instead of buying that rug kit......I almost bought this ram! He is handsome....and black! I left him there for somebody else to buy and went to watch the sheep showing.My friends from Kenleigh Acres Farm had their Jacobs in the show ring..... this blond chick kept flirting with this handsome dude ...and I kept yelling "get a room!".

Not really.....that is Shannon and her hubby Tony from Kenleigh Acres Farm. I don't know how Shannon talked Tony into showing sheep for her. But he did...and let her beat him too! It turned into a family affair with their son, Theron, showing his little ewe.The Jacob sheep classes were very full this year...with stiff competition! Kenleigh Acres Farm did fabulous with Champion ewe and Reserve Champion ewe!

As I walked around the Gathering....I kept wondering if someday I might spin, or raise sheep to show......and then I got in the car, drove to the ranch, got a dog out and realized......the dogs and their amazing work are what I love the most! As my grandfather would say...."that's alright".

Seize the Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment