There are so many things to love about going to the Border Collie Training Center.....big fields....variety of sheep......and friends. Friends that don't get bored talking about dogs....all things dogs: training dogs, running dogs, watching videos of dogs running, looking at pictures of different dogs.
The day of dog work gets started pretty early: drinking coffee around the breakfast table and talking about goals for the day. Then it is off to the bowl field where we set sheep for each other.....
My dogs need practice working sheep while I ride a 4 wheeler. Somehow the 4 wheeler seems to give them permission to do what ever they want, which might be chasing me and leaving the sheep....or being terribly wicked with the sheep ignoring my corrections that turn to screams. When I set...I get the additional benefit of the BCTC workout program......and I walk the sheep to the set out.
I shared earlier that one of my biggest goals was to get some video of my dogs working, especially Bella. I was hoping some video might show me pre-tension build up so I can further sort it. It turned out that we filmed each other......so the person not setting ran the camera.
I took my Canon to the post with me as I sent Nell on her outrun. I wanted to capture her lift and fetch.
These sheep were set on alfalfa so she really had to lift them with authority and then let them go. Together, we have been working on the fetch.....confidence and thought are my goals with Nell. I'm also asking her to stay behind and not slide off to catch an eye to slow them...unless she hears different from me.
The sheep look like there were coming at quite a clip...which they were...but I wanted Nell to stay behind and not slip off to the side to slow them.....she is very good at that maneuver but with practice she is getting better at staying behind while staying far enough off to make a reasonable pace.
Attitude of Gratitude....I have so much to be thankful for. 1) a husband that gives me passes out of the house for dog weekends away 2) a family that does not mind my absence 3) friends that welcome me, encourage me, and aren't afraid to get after me 4) friends with big fields and sheep! Sometimes I get caught up in "wishing" I had more......that I lived closer, had more property, more sheep. When those thoughts come creeping in...I stop and find the blessings in what I do have. And then I grab my notebook, review my goals and kick myself in the butt!
Seize the Day!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment