Monday, December 27, 2010

What Is It About the Holidays!?

Just as I thought I had made it through the holidays unscathed.....successful at being a duck and embracing joy.....I got hit by a truck!  Really...what is it about the holidays that makes for unfilled expectations and let downs?  It's funny...well not really funny but ironical that the more we try to "make" everything happen a certain way.....we end up feeling empty, let-down, depressed and cynical!  Today's homework from Reverb10 is....

Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?

Reading this question...and processing  my answer, I've discovered one of the secrets to happiness!  That is seeking, looking, finding JOY in ORDINARYY moments!!!!  Not making joy come from out-of-this-world expectations from an in-the-mind huge event. Sometimes it seems that big huge events have the potential of bringing out a focus on what was missed, a focus on what did not happen instead of all that did!  So let's look at this question again:

Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?

One of the most profound joyful moments of 2010....was raising my pup, Gyp.  Not just a minute ago, she came flying through the doggie door and put her two front feet onto my lap...giving me a huge hug and just resting her head on my chest for what felt like forever.  Those daily little moments fill my cup with delight....seeing the world through the eyes of my pup....finding the wonder and excitement in the simple and ridiculous. 

I could write more on other profoundly joyful moments that include my boys, husband, friends....but I will leave it with the pup and my journey with my dogs.

One goal for 2011:  finding joy in ordinary moments.....and then stopping to soak it in....take a mental picture of that moment and let it fill my soul....steep myself in the joy and let it permeate my being!  I'd also like to find myself preparing for the big events with tools to bring out along the way....so I can find joy in all that happens as it happens and let go of expectations.  Funny, I find myself  back to Get vs Make....instead of making joy happen....I get to find it along the way......bring it on 2011!


Seize the Day!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE ordinary moments. Today I laughed with glee at seeing Yoko at "almost" 3 yrs. of age, take on two ewes that wanted to plow her down with the steadiness of an 8 yr. old dog. When she was through working she came over for a BIG hug...asking me to pick her up and tell her how great she was....which, of course I did! And, the joy of my grandson calling me at work to just say hello and I could go on and on. Happy New Year. Let it be filled with wonderful ordinary moments that we can laugh out loud at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up :) I had a person once tell me stop thinking and just start living... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Loretta...and was that person a top competitor? Somebody you wanted to be like? All my "mentors" want me thinking this time of year....if a person does not dream and set goals....they often find themselves in the same place year after year. This time of year...I MUST THINK! Working on my vision board as we speak. I'll post pics of that next. And then it will be goals and actions....and then it will be the Jack Knox clinic! I'm sure I can stop thinking at that clinic :) I am a woman...I can think and live life at the same time!! Now there's a quote for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...maybe not all my mentors but many of my mentors.....I do think a few of my mentors wonder about my thinking LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I think you missed my point :) I didn't mean it as a BAD thing, but as a compliment to your post about just enjoying the moments, keeping them close and not losing sight of things. And to answer your question, nope, it wasn't anyone in herding :) Or dog training at all. It was my grandmother, who yes, I would love to be more like. And who I wish was still here.

    ReplyDelete