Sunday, December 5, 2010

PW wanna be!

Friday, as I made my bi-monthly trip to Knee Deep Ranch...I was greeted by Alvina who asked if I wanted to go drive the feed truck while she fed!  Why OF COURSE!!!!  Pioneer Woman wanna be...that's me.  Now if I could just do a cook book and.....well, never mind.

The bad news is...I had to drive a Ford. The good news...I can drive a stick shift thus did not embarrass myself too bad!
ain't I a beauty...now chip chop chip on the feed!
The cows were very happy to see us....I felt just a little special with such a large fan club!

Birthday boy Fred kept a watchful eye on the cows for me!
I had to try and drive real slow....so Alvina could toss off the hay and not get bucked off the back of the truck.  This was a challenge......she put me in 4L in the next field......I'm sure she had her reasons.

happy cows
The next field on the feed route was filled with cows....calves....and newly introduced BULLS!


When Alvina got out to get around to the back of the truck....I opted to slide across the seat so as not to get on first name basis with this dude!


I volunteered to come down and help brand....I'll serve the boys coffee and banana bread!



The morning adventure brought back many fond memories of my childhood.  My grandparents had a cattle ranch in Beatty, Oregon....and whenever my family went to visit, we made the rounds with Grandpa feeding or checking the cows.

After the feeding chores were done, Alvina, Gayle and I went on to work our dogs on the local sheep.  I love my trips to Knee Deep Ranch.  The land has such a rustic, western beauty to it....quiet, green, wide, open....the best qualities when it comes to working dogs!

Seize the Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment