"Why do you Blog?"...that was the question Full Tilt Border Collies asked a few weeks back. It was fun reading other blogger's answers and I have been thinking about how I would answer. I started blogging to keep a journal of my training and trialing progress as I moved my Sally to open. I knew over time: lessons, clinics, and trials would become a blur. Also, adding a few more dogs into my training mix, I wanted to document my journey with each of them. Blogging made keeping a diary very easy. Over the past two years, I'm amazed at how often I go back and look for a trial date or a clinic thought. I've also used my blog to vent a little....no, really I have! Some days, an idea is posted on one of the "chat boards" or facebook that gets stuck in my craw and posting my views on my blog is great therapy!
The benefits of blogging.....keeping a record of progress and things learned. However, one of the not so obvious benefits has been getting to meet other bloggers! People from all over America...and even crossing the pond into Wales with Kinloch Sheepdogs....folks I have "gotten to know" through blogging. Sometimes, as I am writing one of my blog posts....I remember that my blog-reading friends are following along. I try to present ideas emphasising they are mine or training tips that apply to my dogs but might not be universal to all dogs. I've also enjoyed the "discussions" that have gone on in the comment section of some of the blogs I read. Learning and challenging, thought-stretching makes life so much richer.
So another question that comes to mind: Why do you read blogs? I like reading other blogs for a number of reasons. I love being personally challenged by blogs such as Ordinary Courage. I look forward to new posts on Eyeherdewe...the wicked way with words that I wish I could have put together because more times than not they describe how I feel with truthful clarity! I enjoy thinking about training sheepdogs and ideas that come from Candy Kennedy's Training Border Collies. Candy is great about answering questions in the comment section. Another all time favorite, feel good blog is Pioneer Woman. PW always has such a unique view of life: attracting incredibly positive people who add depth to her blog. Blogs are also a great way for me to keep up with my friends....sharing their lives and their training journeys...all of which are listed in my blog list.
Last....Are bloggers authentic? Or how much can you tell about the author of a blog by what they write about and how they present it? As I read other blogs...there are definitely people I would love to meet as well as those I am thankful to call friend! Their writing captivates me...their ideas tumble around in my head and linger...I feel blessed to share a day of their life without actually being there. Other blogs I have stumbled upon leave me wanting to run....go wash out the inner cavity of my skull and wishing I had not seen "that" side of the author! Those blogs could be an exercise in creative writing...but it leaves me thinking "could the real ----- please stand up!" As with the people in my personal life that I call "good friend"....I keep my regular blog reading to those that lift me up, challenge me to be a better person, share authentic life with a "let's roll" attitude, and make the time spent with them, so to speak, time worth spending.
Why do you blog? Why do you read blogs? Do you think you can tell more about a person after reading their blog posts?
Thank you for reading Rocking Dog Ranch.
Seize the Day!
Your blog popped up on my Google alert, so I thought I'd check it out...
ReplyDeleteBlogging is journaling. Journaling is good. Helps me keep a clear perspective, helps me set goals, clarifies what's going on inside my head. Plus, blogging makes me grateful to see where I have come from and where I am now.
ReplyDeletePlus, I've met some great new friends. All positive. :0)
For me...it has been a fun way to show others sides of me they might not see :)
ReplyDeleteWhy do you blog?
ReplyDeleteI blog for me. To keep track of my plans and goals. It keeps me organized and gives me a place to unload my ideas. I have a place I can go back to say oh yeah, I've done that or it has been along brewing issue or heck we fixed it forever. A tail of the journey.
Why do you read blogs?
I pretty much only read the blogs of folks I know. I like to see what they are up to. I like to keep track of those that lift me up and challenge me :)
Do you think you can tell more about a person after reading their blog posts?
Blog post are VERY revealing often unintentionally so.
I blog to keep a record and store memories, much like I used to with a paper journal. I do still keep a detailed paper training journal, but it is less hypothetical and more concrete than the blog :)
ReplyDeleteFor me, blogging also evolved into a social thing. It is a nice way to keep in touch with friends and have support after a failure or others to celebrate with after a success!
I think you can learn plenty about someone from blog posts, but there is some anonymity and filtering to be had when desired. A plus for the blogger and for the reader.