Tuesday, December 28, 2010

More Wool Crafts

The week before Christmas, I ventured down to Kenleigh Acres Farm.  My friend, Adele, was taking a felted soap class and I thought...what the heck!  Maybe I could cross a few names off my Christmas gift list with a craft project.

Adele brought a felted soap that she made at home.....before she took the class and got the secret "how to's".  I love how she wrapped it in yarn!


Shannon started the class giving the basic instructions....


The whole process was pretty darn simple....wrapping a nice bar of hand-milled soap in wool fibers.....and then taking that wool through the felting process. As the wool became felt...it got tighter shrinking onto the soap...sort of like a wool sweater when it is put in a washing machine.  Not that I have ever done anything like that before......


My hands have never been so clean!  Good thing the soap smelled good and was moisturizing!

Here is what Shannon says about felted soap, "The gentle exfoliating wool eliminates the need for a washcloth and shrinks with the soap. When all of the soap is gone, you are left with a nice wool scrubbing pad."

Here is my attempt at felted soap....shown next to Adele's felt soap.....not too bad if I say so myself.


I went home and made another felted soap and gave all my crafty attempts as Christmas gifts.  One friend wants to do a little class with her daughter and a friend....so I'll be make a few more of them.  Fun way to be productive during these endless rainy days of winter!

Seize the Day!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post...but I was hoping it was going to be a picture of your finished BC and sheep project ;) How is it coming along?

    ReplyDelete