Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Mob

Well, things in the world of working sheep dogs are getting VERY exciting but I will share that tomorrow.  Today, I want to finish telling about the sheep party I attended.....big outruns at the park and then....Mob Work!

So after Geri, Lana, and I got done with big outruns....Lana asked if we wanted to help move the mob of sheep to new grazing. "Oh here, twist my arm!"  Of course I wanted to help move her mob of sheep!  And Bella was the dog of choice.....mostly because I wanted to see what Bella would do with that many sheep!

Lana's husband, Marty...pulled the sheep out of the pasture at their house and we started them in the direction they were to go....a couple miles down the road....but these sheep had other things on their mind and ran across the road into some alfalfa.


First order of business....get them back on the road. 


In addition to working 600+ sheep....it was a new experience for Bella to be working for me....while other folks were working their own dogs.  At first, Bella thought it might be cool to be Lana's dog....and as Marty came by....she wanted to work for him too!  Soon enough she figured out that I was the one using verbal commands and that perchance those whistles were not being used for her benefit.  She settled in and started to push.

                               

Just as the ewes and lambs would get going down the road.....one of the leader ewes would decide to dart into the next open field...and away the flock would follow.

                              

We finally made it to the big open field the mob needed to cross to get to their new grazing field.....so the dogs were able to slow down the pace a little and I got to enjoy the whole experience without worrying I was not holding up my side.

                            

And finally, the sheep were in a fresh field of alfalfa.....and were back to doing what sheep love to do the most.....eat.

                              

That'll do...dogs....that'll do.

                                 

Every time I go down south....my visit is filled with wonder and excitement.  No two times have been the same.....generally things don't go exactly as planned....but that adds to the adventure of discovering what each day might bring to my book of life.  I appreciate the fact that as I worked Bella in this new situation, Lana, Marty and Geri were supportive in letting the two of us sort it out.  Lana giving words of encouragement to let Bella work and not worry...because she was doing a fine job. 

What an absolutely perfect way to celebrate the beginning of another year of living the dream.

Seize the Day!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great way to spend a day!! Would love to have those kind of opportunities around here.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey gf u and Bella rocked the mob :) we have several big moves coming up..one in a few weeks will be pretty long and moving only lambs...come back and help!

    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful experience!!! I wanna come ;) Sounds like you and Bella were able to work it out!

    ReplyDelete