Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tiny Dancer

Saturday, one of my Coop ewes gave birth to two of the tiniest lambs I have seen.  Both weighed in about 5 pounds each.  I'm not exactly sure what happened....my sheep friends think that maybe the ewe had triplets and was reabsorbing one.  Needless to say, I feel a bit inadequate.  The smallest of the two was not thrifty so she went to live with another friend.  The lamb that stayed is now called Dancer....I'm singing Elton John to her.  She is sporting a sweater sleeve cut just to her size.  She is feisty....time will tell.


Today, my other coop ewe lambed.  Earlier in January, she ended up with a broken jaw and I almost lost her.  It took me some time and help from my shearer to figure out what was wrong.  First I thought she had bottle jaw from the edema under her chin.  She lived off the protein block I had in the barn as she could not chew.  Once the broken jaw was proclaimed....I attacked with vigor...as my good friend Shannon said.....just get her through to lambing.  Grain, soybean meal, alfalfa, molasses....all in a pen just for her and my other coop ewe...twice a day all you can eat Rocking Dog Ranch buffet.  The work paid off with twins...the girl weighing in at 9 pounds and the boy a good 8 pounds!


They hit the ground ready to rumble and are already starting a good sibling rivalry.

                              

Soon enough they will figure out that one on each side works better!

It is supposed to snow here tomorrow and into the weekend.  They are saying 2-6 inches on the valley floor.  I'm scrambling trying to sort out how to handle the hair sheep that should begin lambing tomorrow.  I'm hoping that this time the weatherman is wrong.


Gyp thinks that maybe lambing should get over with already...she is tired of not working sheep! At 1/3 done...I'm ready to agree with Gyp.  A full night's sleep sounds refreshing right about now!

Seize the Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment