Well "bless my soul", I am so thankful I waited till mid February to lamb. At three this morning, as I drove to the ranch from home because it was just too cold to stay in the RV, I had snowflakes intermingled in with the pouring down rain! Two girls are due today...and looking like they might live up to that prediction. I now have a quick break in the action to report on the Kathy Kn*x clinic....or as Full Tilt says: "KK clinic."
I was able to sell my Sunday at the clinic to a friend (thank you, C) because I knew I was cutting it close with lambing. So I drove up and back for just one day. Bella was again the dog of choice as I continue sorting tension. Both times out with K, I tried my darnedest to set up tension and Bella just laughed. I learned that Bella and I are on a good path. Bella trusts me and herself at closer distances which over time will hopefully lengthen into the bigger open outruns. K pointed out that I was using a stop at the top and sometimes a little short....a lingering symptom of my days of "keeping Bella out of trouble." With the sheep pulling hard to a holding pen, I sent Bella to lift out of that pressure. K asked me to let her do her thing so we could see what she would do with a bunch of sheep facing her. Bella was cool as a cucumber, walking right into those heads with thought and supple beauty and took a "lie down" after she lifted them. I did this a few times just because it was so fun to watch Bella shine. I know I have said this before but it is so amazing to work consistently with a person who saw Bella the very day I bought her. It reaffirms the journey: staying consistent, working through instead of avoiding, appreciating the progress, and letting go of other's opinions and comparisons. Another hour and yard in my time and miles life.
My homework for myself is to continue sorting through: correction with application for learning; helping/supporting; keeping out of trouble. As I listen to and learn through application...FOR ME there is a huge difference in training a dog, which is where correction and support come into play, and running a dog...where all three are fair game. It is time to start looking at the trial entry forms!
Back to the KK clinic:
Another really cool, brought-tears-to-my-eyes happening was all the pups at the clinic that were born and raised in my playroom.
Fist there was Dahlia, a pup off Bella.
Jill, a Nell/KK Jake pup was there with her owner who is also a good friend that takes lessons with me.
Two other good friends had their Nell/Jake pups there, including Dodger and Tweed. However, it was pouring rain in the afternoon and I did not get my camera out. I think I need some good rain gear for my camera because I am frustrated with myself for missing those moments! While Tweed comes to my place regularly, it was great to finally see Dodger work. He is just as handsome as I remember him...and I loved watching him on the stock!
And ranking right up there with the joy of watching those pups....was watching my friends who train with me.....sort and learn and understand and well, just blossom!
This here is Mia. She and her owner have been working with me for a couple of months now. The introduction of "my interpretation of the Kn*x method" was very foreign to this team.....however, they took to it like my love for banana bread!
I can't get enough of watching all the dogs at clinics and listening to the input. It's all I can do to wait to get home and apply some of the ideas, especially if I have seen similar happenings with one of my own dogs. I would have loved to given Gyp a go with Kathy......but I feel like I have a good grasp on the direction I am going with Gyp. There will be other clinics for Miss Gyp to get out and work.
I'm home fixing a couple of heat lamps and then it is back to check for lambs.....
Seize the day.
It's it GREAT seeing the pups growing up??
ReplyDelete